In this article, we will learn how to register a marriage (Marriage Certificate) in Gujarat and where proof is required to register a marriage.
Marriage in India is considered a sacred sacrament, that is why the matter of marriage registration has been included in our law. Marriage registration is an essential thing for any couple. Whether educated or ignorant, they must fulfill their responsibility.
Considering the present situation, Gujarat State Registration of Marriages Act, 2006 was enacted to ensure the effective implementation of the provisions of compulsory registration of marriages in the state.
The constitution of India has two laws in force for marriage registration. One is the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 and the other is the Special Marriage Act 1954.
The Hindu Marriage Act allows couples who are both Hindus, Jains, Buddhists, Sikhs or converts to each other’s religions to register.
When either of the bridegroom or the bride is not Hindu or of the above mentioned religion, they are required to register under the Special Marriage Act 1954. Because today’s youth is not serious about inter-caste relations.
Due to such carelessness, they sometimes get into a lot of trouble. In some cases, going against the parents or people of different religions do not register the marriage due to the fear of the parents or the society. In particular, such couples must register their marriage regularly.
So that their future is secure. Marriage registration is not limited to this. But marriage registration certificate is mandatory for common documents like election card, license, aadhar card, pan card etc.
The most important thing is that the only proof of marriage is the marriage certificate. Wedding photos cannot be used as strong evidence. Apart from this, a marriage certificate is mandatory to enter a name on a ration card, to get insurance, to take advantage of government schemes, and to take advantage of a pension at work and also in various offices.
Marriage registration is essential for today’s youth. Marriage registration secures the future of the newlyweds. Marriage registration is a very simple process.
Following are the documents and instructions required to go for marriage registration
- Form No. 5 and Form No. 1 (Online forms available.)
- A true copy of the school living certificate of the bride and groom
- Aadhaar card of the bride and groom
- Two passport-size photographs of both the bride and groom and a wedding couple photograph
- Kankotri Original
- A true copy of the Aadhaar card of Gor Maharaj and witnesses of both parties
- Keep all the evidence in two copies. Also, the bride and groom should sign in the proof.
- In the case of divorce, the basis is the decree of the judge.
- Aadhar if widow/widower
- All originals are to be kept for presentation.
- Fill out the marriage application form with a black ball pen and check with the clerk and fill the inward.
- Both bride and groom should be present at the time of marriage registration.
Fees for marriage registration are as follows.
- If registered within one month from the date of marriage, the fee is Rs. 5/-
- If registered within three months from the date of marriage, the fee is Rs. 25/-
- In case of registration more than three months from the date of marriage, the fee is Rs. 25/-
- Affix two agreement stamps on the form Rupees 200 + 200 and a court stamp of Rupees 3 has to be affixed.
Registrar for Marriage Registration
- Talati cum Mantri for Gram Panchayat
- Municipal Chief Officer or Health Officer
- Municipal Medical Officer (Health)
- Notified Area Chief Executive Officer
How to Register Marriage:
To register the marriage, the parties to the marriage have to prepare the registration list in the prescribed format and within 30 days from the date of the marriage, the registration list has to be given in duplicate to the registrar of the place where the marriage took.
For Marriage Registration Form No. 5 and Form No. 1 must be signed by two witnesses. The registrar will then check the form and all the evidence provided. And if found suitable, the marriage certificate will be issued.
You can get a marriage registration certificate in both Gujarati and English languages.
Advantages of Marriage Certificate:
Marriage registration is mandatory in some circumstances. The marriage certificate is essential for producing any document like an election card, Driving License, Aadhaar card, PAN card etc. Most importantly, the only proof of Aadhaar marriage is the marriage certificate itself.
Apart from this, a Marriage Certificate is mandatory for entering your name on a ration card, making a passport, taking insurance, availing government schemes, availing pension at work and also in various offices.